Preparations for Samba 4.0 RC1

Karolin Seeger ks at sernet.de
Mon Sep 3 12:58:17 MDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 09:30:21PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-08-30 at 12:09 +0200, Karolin Seeger wrote:
> We need to remove the 3/4 distinction, and the best way to do that is to
> remove the Samba4-HOWTO (it is empty of content) and rename all the -3
> directories back to just the base name.  Then just add the binaries just
> as if they were any other new binary.

I agree.

> The bigger task of making the Samba-HOWTO acknowledge the AD DC and be
> up to date will be the more difficult thing.

What about stopping to ship the HOWTO Collection pdf file? I do really
appreciate the tremendous work John, Jelmer and others put into it!
The problem is that there are several issues (broken links etc.) and a lot
of build issues and the most important issue: It's really out of date
meanwhile. So what about putting the HOWTO Collection on the webserver as
it is and stop shipping it with the tarballs. The Wiki would be the up to
date alternative then (we can add a text file with the urls and mention it
in the release notes).

Cheers,
Karolin

--