Samba mangling ACL's

Ricky Nance ricky.nance at weaubleau.k12.mo.us
Wed Oct 31 10:37:02 MDT 2012

Found something interesting today while setting permissions on a folder
using the windows security dialogue. When I added a new group or changed
any of the existing permissions it reset all the permissions on the
directory to r-x (where it would have been rwx before). Also the dialogue
box showed that no user had permissions (all checkboxes were empty except
administrator, which root owns the linux directory and its chmod'ed 755). I
am using Version 4.1.0pre1-GIT-a9a3841 and a previous version didn't do
this (not sure which version, but it was less than 2 months ago on a git
pull).

This is what it looked like before changing a user...

root at ws-server:/home/samba# getfacl compapps/
# file: compapps/
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
user:root:rwx
group::r-x
group:root:r-x
group:10119:rwx
group:10954:rwx
group:compapps:rwx
mask::rwx
other::r-x
default:user::rwx
default:user:root:rwx
default:group::---
default:group:root:---
default:group:10119:rwx
default:group:10954:rwx
default:group:compapps:rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

and this is after.

root at ws-server:/home/samba# getfacl compapps/
# file: compapps/
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
user:root:rwx
group::r-x
group:root:r-x
group:10119:r-x
group:10954:r-x
group:compapps:r-x
mask::rwx
other::r-x
default:user::rwx
default:user:root:rwx
default:group::---
default:group:root:---
default:group:10119:rwx
default:group:10954:rwx
default:group:compapps:rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

I'd be glad to get any info needed to get this fixed, its quite handy to
have it working :). I can manually fix these using setfacl, and then
windows reports them correctly as well, but this was working in the past.

Thanks,
Ricky