[Announce] CTDB release 2.0 is ready for download

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 02:59:39 MDT 2012

Hi Michael,

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 7:12 PM, Michael Adam <obnox at samba.org> wrote:
> Hi Amitay,
>
> On 2012-10-31 at 16:14 +1100, Amitay Isaacs wrote:
>> This is long overdue CTDB release. There have been numerous code
>> enhancements and bug fixes since the last release of CTDB.
>
> it is really very nice, that we start over, version-wise! :-)
>
> Are you planning to create a ctdb-2.0 branch off the release tag
> so that this version can stabilize?

Owing to a *very small* active group of developers of CTDB, most of
the new commits would be bug-fixes. ;-)

I didn't want to take on extra work of maintaining multiple
development/release branches till there is significant contribution
and new developments. I will continue to release from master till we
need separate stable and development branches.

>> Highlights
>> =======
>>
>> * Support for readonly records (http://ctdb.samba.org/doc/readonlyrecords.txt)
>
> Wasn't that alrady in the 1.2.* versions and the version stream
> in the branch 1.13 ?
>
>> * Locking API to detect deadlocks between ctdb and samba
>> * Fetch-lock optimization to rate-limit concurrent requests for same record
>> * Support for policy routing
>> * Modified IP allocation algorithm
>> * Improved database vacuuming
>
> This is also available in the 1.2.* stream (various 1.2.X branches)
> and even the 1.0.114.* versions (1.0.114 branch).
>
>> * New test infrastructure
>
> Sorry for pointing these out so bluntly.
> I may have missed somethings, but I also did not
> want to let a false impression arise that the
> items I commented on were newly created and are
> not available in eralier releases.
>
> If this is misleading or wrong, please apologize and clarify! :-)

Last time I checked, the last community released code (either in
tarball or RPM form) was 1.0.114. Correct me if I am wrong.

If the changes I mentioned were present in 1.0.114 release, I need to
improve my git skills significantly. :-)

Amitay.