ldbdump is a vaulable tool and should be retained.

simo idra at samba.org
Tue Oct 30 22:03:08 MDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-31 at 14:55 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 22:35 -0400, simo wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 22:31 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > > This change was completely gratuitous and unnecessary.
> > > Every single function here takes a a module structure as a context.
> > > Changing this convention for a single function makes no sense, it
> > > just makes the interface irregular with absolutely no gain whatsoever.
> > >
> > > Simo Sorce (1):
> > >   Revert "ldb: Change ltdb_unpack_data to take an ldb_context"
> > >
> > >  lib/ldb/ldb_tdb/ldb_index.c  | 2 +-
> > >  lib/ldb/ldb_tdb/ldb_pack.c   | 4 +++-
> > >  lib/ldb/ldb_tdb/ldb_search.c | 6 +++---
> > >  lib/ldb/ldb_tdb/ldb_tdb.c    | 2 +-
> > >  lib/ldb/ldb_tdb/ldb_tdb.h    | 2 +-
> > >  5 files changed, 9 insertions(+), 7 deletions(-)
> >

> > I just realizwed the damage has been compounded by exposing a module
> > private interface to a separate utility.
> >
> > I will send a patch that fixes that too.
> > This is exactly the kind of crap for which reviews would *really* be
> > helpful.
>
> This utility was posted to the list, and was critical to the partial
> recovery of a corrupted ldb at a production site.
>
> How else should we provide such functionality, and do you propose to do
> the work?  Otherwise, for the small price of a change to an internal
> function prototype, I think this is a very valuable improvement.
>
> Sadly we will again need this kind of tool in the future.

Yes and sadly once again you don't care for building good code
respecting the internal interfaces and respecting other developers work.
You are content with dumping a half hack into the source tree by what
substantially amounts to abusing your commit rights and then leave to
others later to take up the slack and waste *their* time to fix the
damage.

Yes I do agree that an ldbdump utility may be a good thing, but you have
to do it right so that it is done in an acceptable way.
If you don't care for doing it right then just make a patch in your
private tree and give it to your customer as a quick hack.

I am tired of having to keep finding your gems in the code and have to
waste my time on fixing your code, my time is as valuable as yours.

Please retire this code and do it right, then post for review and we'll
push it when it's done right.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce