ldbdump is a vaulable tool and should be retained.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Oct 30 21:55:58 MDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 22:35 -0400, simo wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 22:31 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> > This change was completely gratuitous and unnecessary.
> > Every single function here takes a a module structure as a context.
> > Changing this convention for a single function makes no sense, it
> > just makes the interface irregular with absolutely no gain whatsoever.
> >
> > Simo Sorce (1):
> >   Revert "ldb: Change ltdb_unpack_data to take an ldb_context"
> >
> >  lib/ldb/ldb_tdb/ldb_index.c  | 2 +-
> >  lib/ldb/ldb_tdb/ldb_pack.c   | 4 +++-
> >  lib/ldb/ldb_tdb/ldb_search.c | 6 +++---
> >  lib/ldb/ldb_tdb/ldb_tdb.c    | 2 +-
> >  lib/ldb/ldb_tdb/ldb_tdb.h    | 2 +-
>

> I just realizwed the damage has been compounded by exposing a module
> private interface to a separate utility.
>
> I will send a patch that fixes that too.
> This is exactly the kind of crap for which reviews would *really* be
> helpful.

This utility was posted to the list, and was critical to the partial
recovery of a corrupted ldb at a production site.

How else should we provide such functionality, and do you propose to do
the work?  Otherwise, for the small price of a change to an internal
function prototype, I think this is a very valuable improvement.

Sadly we will again need this kind of tool in the future.