How to add SeBackup privilege for make test user ?

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu Oct 25 17:48:22 MDT 2012

Hi Andrew and Jelmer,

I'm adding a regression test for my fix for the crash
in smbd when doing a listing for a user with SeBackup
privilege.

However this depends on the test user being used in
the source3/script/tests/test_smbclient_s3.sh test
scripts having SeBackup privilege assigned.

We seem to only create the one test user ($USER)
who is logged in, and that user doesn't have
SeBackup privilege. How do I fix that ?

When I do:

net rpc rights grant $USERNAME SeBackupPrivilege -U$USERNAME%$PASSWORD -I $SERVER_IP

before trying the backup list, I get:

Could not connect to server 127.0.0.2
The username or password was not correct.
Connection failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

which is plainly incorrect as this is the
same user and password that smbclient uses
(although I'm not sure if this user has the
rights to add SeBackupPrivilege).

Any clues here ?

Jeremy.