Scaling of ctdb & DNS round robin and scaling of pdc

Johannes Amorosa | Celluloid VFX johannesa at celluloid-vfx.com
Thu Oct 25 02:28:55 MDT 2012

Hello List,
I hope this is the right place to ask - I have two questions:

1. In the ctdb wiki http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/CTDB_Setup it is
recommended to use dns round robin for loadbalancing.
I'm quite new to this - how does samba handle a "session". We need
massive I/O for our setup and considering ctdb to avoid our
smb bottleneck. When is the client getting a "different" IP- Address?
Everytime a file is read or stored - our every morning when
you log into your workstation. If this is the case then loadbalancing
would be quite random. The scaling figures in one of the PDFs
are impressive - are these "artifical" benchmark tests or real life scaling?

2. Can the PDC be a bottleneck. Can I avoid this with samba 4 and
integrated PDC? I would like to here your opinion

Thank you for your time.
Johannes