scan tests in make test (was Re: Retiring or fixing smbtorture?)

Richard Sharpe realrichardsharpe at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 08:02:37 MDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 5:05 AM, Volker Lendecke
<Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 03:57:39AM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:

>> > So, some of the history here is that we don't run scan tests in make
>> > test, because they really need to be run against windows.  We then don't
>> > run them against windows because we now have an official way of
>> > discovering new protocol elements, rather than scanning and guessing.
>> >
>> > Part of the reason we don't run them in make test is that they tend to
>> > be fairly slow, but because they don't validate their output they are
>> > not particularly useful, except in filling logs with unexpected command
>> > messages.
>> >
>> > The blocking of these is done by the selftest/skip file, and comments on
>> > some other scan entries include:
>> >
>> > ^samba4.rpc.autoidl  # this one just generates a lot of noise, and is no
>> > longer useful
>> > ^samba4.rpc.countcalls # this is not useful now we have full IDL
>> > ^samba4.rap.scan # same thing here - we have docs now
>> > ^samba4..*trans2.scan # uses huge number of file descriptors
>> > ^samba4.*.base.scan.ioctl # bad idea in make test
>> > ^samba4.*.base.scan.pipe_number # bad idea in make test
>>
>> OK, so, I think I understand what you are telling me :-)
>>
>> However, QA tends to find it difficult to understand these things, and
>> lots of people seem to still use smbtorture from source3 and then run
>> into trouble with all the tests that fail for all sorts of reasons.
>
> This is a well-known problem. There is a complete business
> to be made around smbtorture-like Software. Look at the list
> of companies at SDC offering SMB validation. I doubt that
> any of those can be run without some level of manual
> interpretation. Sure, smbtorture is really an acquired
> taste, but I bet the competition is very good at selling you
> the interpretation of the scan results.

Sure, but my original point about the TRANS2SCAN test is that:

1. Either the code is wrong, or

2. Samba is wrong in responding to a request to open the directory \
as a file with an error

3. Or Windows is wrong in some way.

I will check what Windows does when that test is run against it, and
submit a patch so that at least the test is correct, rather than
broken as I currently suspect it is.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe