CIFS: Deprecating NFS mounting syntax in mount.cifs

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Wed Oct 24 00:47:05 MDT 2012

On 23/10/12 19:36, Jeff Layton wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 19:22:32 +0200
> steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/23/2012 07:02 PM, Jeff Layton wrote:

> Well, better confusion now than confusion when it breaks. cifs really
> is just too "loose" about the syntax of things that it accepts, which
> sounds great until you have to test all of the different variations...

Hi
As dev's you have the power to change that. Users need to have it 'just
work'. Simply tell us what the syntax is and we'll stick to it gladly.
All we need is documentation which says, in plain straightforward
English, something like:

This is the syntax allowed:
(say it in dev terms with all [:\\|//{ sort of stuff if you like)

And here are some real examples:
mount -t cifs //server/share /mnt
etc, etc.

Just make it clear and please don't give alternatives.
Cheers,
Steve