Backup/upgrade and change DNS

Gémes Géza geza at kzsdabas.hu
Tue Oct 23 00:07:39 MDT 2012

> Hi all,
>
> I did a backup to my samba that's using the internal DNS in
> /usr/local/backups and I got 3 .tar.bz2 files. I do not know how to
> restore it and how to switch the dns from internal, so it's using the
> named. I need step-by-step instructions. The documentation does not
> describe how to change the DNS or how to restore.
>
> Thank you.

Restore:

Install the samba release of your choice (master git snapshot or 4.0rc3
currently)
unpack those three files to the folders created by install
rename all the *.ldb.bak files in private and all subfolders to *.ldb
If you had any group policies run samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset to
synchronize the acls of the sysvol share to those of the directory.

DNS:

check samba_upgradedns --help

Regards

Geza Gemes