review tools (was Re: Code review required for commits - formal Team vote.)

Scott Lovenberg scott.lovenberg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 18:22:07 MDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 6:26 PM, simo <idra at samba.org> wrote:
> So there is one gotchs with patchwork. If you send multiple patches in
> the same mail message only the last one will be picked up.
>
> Using git send-mail will send one patch per mail and make the whole
> process of tracking them easier
> I suggest people try to use it or anyway send a separate mail per patch.
>
> Simo.

If I may offer just a bit of advice as someone who fought with git
send-email and friends (because, what's coding without fighting with a
tool chain :) )...

* I've found it's easier to first use git format-patch and then
include all of the patch files from that in git send-email.
* I always annotate when I do a git send-email.  It's your last chance
to double check your commit message.
* Thunderbird and GMail will chew on your patchset (usually inserting
and removing whitespace - perfect if your patch is Python).
* I also had to change my Gmail settings to force GMail to use UTF-8
for outgoing messages to avoid weirdness.
* Discussion about a patchset is easier when each patch is in its own
email, IMHO.

HTH someone out there.
--
Peace and Blessings,