review tools (was Re: Code review required for commits - formal Team vote.)

simo idra at samba.org
Wed Oct 17 09:12:29 MDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-17 at 16:48 +0200, David Disseldorp wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 10:10:08 -0400
> simo <idra at samba.org> wrote:
>
> > > 1) http://jk.ozlabs.org/projects/patchwork/
> >
> > Sound cool, can you briefly describe how it works ?
>
> Sure, here's the typical work flow as I recall it:
>
> - Patchwork server setup (patchwork.samba.org), and pointed at our
>   review ML.
> - Developers/reviewers each create an account on patchwork.samba.org
>   and associate it with their email address(es).
> - Developers send patches to review ML.
> - Patches are picked up by patchwork and added to the patch list
>   (state=new).
> - (optional) developers/reviewers delegate a reviewer for patches using
>   the web interface and set state (under review, superseded, not
>   applicable, deferred, etc).
> - (optional) developers/reviewers check status of own/delegated patches.
> - Reviewers email patch feedback to review ML.
> - Review feedback is captured by patchwork alongside the patch.
> - (optional) developers/reviewers update state (accepted, rejected).
> - Developers/reviewers push patch.
> - (optional) patchwork git hook updates state and archives entry.
>
> For an look at patchwork in action, see:
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-sh/list/

Sounds nice and it seem that thanks to the git hook it should work even
if it is not used by everybody, meaning we could set it up now and just
let it run and let it be used by whoever wants to use it.
Is that right ?

If so I can volunteer to use it and even to set it up, heck even host
it.
However I am afraid we may need to create a separate mailing list for
reviews/patches in order to avoid drowning other technical discussions ?

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce