review tools (was Re: Code review required for commits - formal Team vote.)

David Disseldorp ddiss at suse.de
Wed Oct 17 08:48:34 MDT 2012

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 10:10:08 -0400
simo <idra at samba.org> wrote:

> > 1) http://jk.ozlabs.org/projects/patchwork/
>
> Sound cool, can you briefly describe how it works ?

Sure, here's the typical work flow as I recall it:

- Patchwork server setup (patchwork.samba.org), and pointed at our
  review ML.
- Developers/reviewers each create an account on patchwork.samba.org
  and associate it with their email address(es).
- Developers send patches to review ML.
- Patches are picked up by patchwork and added to the patch list
  (state=new).
- (optional) developers/reviewers delegate a reviewer for patches using
  the web interface and set state (under review, superseded, not
  applicable, deferred, etc).
- (optional) developers/reviewers check status of own/delegated patches.
- Reviewers email patch feedback to review ML.
- Review feedback is captured by patchwork alongside the patch.
- (optional) developers/reviewers update state (accepted, rejected).
- Developers/reviewers push patch.
- (optional) patchwork git hook updates state and archives entry.

For an look at patchwork in action, see:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-sh/list/

Cheers, David