Code review required for commits - formal Team vote.

simo idra at samba.org
Wed Oct 17 08:07:19 MDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-10-17 at 09:07 -0400, Ira Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 9:00 AM, simo <idra at samba.org> wrote:

> >> It has a cli.
> >>
> >> https://review.openstack.org/Documentation/cmd-index.html
> >
> > ... and I learn Gerrit has it's own ssh server too ??
> >
> > that's really bad, does it have it's own kernel to install too ? :-)
> >
> >> I believe you can also just pull anything up for review... So you
> >> should be able to avoid the web ui.
> >>
> >> I personally believe the requirements we have can be met by some
> >> python scripts that just keep track of what e-mail threads are active
> >> on SN, and possibly output a webpage :)
> >>
> >> Note: I don't care if it is Gerrit, or just a set of python scripts on
> >> sn that say "this e-mail topic is active... this one is being reviewed
> >> by x, this one is closed."
> >>
> >> Nobody says this has to be complex.  It as complex as we want to make
> >> it, I explicitly stuck to giving requirements for a reason.  How to
> >> implement those requirements in a non-odious way is another topic. :)
> >
> > Yup, we already have autobuild that does all the automatic and
> > regression testing we need. And we just need to keep track of changes.
> > I believe a simple git tree would work neatly as long as the owner
> > maintains it (ie removes changesets that are not relevant anymore)
>
> Ah, I'd rather the reviewer do that ;)

Yeah that works too, but then the branch needs to be in a repo on which
every team member can write by default. I am fine with creating a new
'review' git repo with a branch per person.
This way people can push stuff in the branch under their name and
reviewers can pull and clean up if they push, or even propose changes
back if so we decide to interact.

The problem is that we will probably need multiple branches per person
as you do not want to pile unrelated patchsets on the same branch, so it
came become complex pretty quickly.

Maybe we should have a patchset tracker of some sort.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce