We need to stop voting (was: Re: Code review required for commits - formal Team vote.)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Oct 16 16:16:15 MDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-16 at 01:38 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 01:05:31AM +0200, Michael Adam wrote:
> > Yes, the proposal has had a very unfortunate start, indeed.
> > Let me rephrase what my understanding and view of the proposal is:
> >

> ..... (lots of stuff deleted :-).
>

> > I suggest that we try this for 3-4 months. After that timeframe
> > we should evaluate the outcome. If all goes well, we would have
> > elaborated a process and formal requirement that we could put
> > into a policy. If we meet impossible obstacles before that
> > instead, we need to revise and re-discuss earlier of course.
> > But I think we need to give it at least a couple of weeks' time
> > to make a meaningful statement.
>
> So as far as I can tell this is the same as the original
> proposal (lot more words though :-) with the addition of
> a review period after 3-4 months to evaluate how things
> are going.
>
> Michael, if you want to make an official change to the proposal
> to add the (let's say) 4 month evaluation period, then we probaby
> need to reset the vote count (sorry, but everyone needs to be very
> clear on *exactly* what we're all voting for IMHO) and reset the time
> period for another week after you make this proposal.
>
> If you want to officially make this proposal I'm happy to
> withdraw mine in favour of this.

At this point, we need to stop voting, and instead work with each other
to find constructive ways to solve this.  Michael's proposal is
certainly closer to something I think I can live with, but I still have
some concerns.

A genuine trial needs the genuine participation of the participants.
That can only be obtained by consent, so a majority vote simply won't
help, we have to work out an improvement to our process that we all can
live with.

Let's just leave this for a few weeks, and return to it with a sense of
good will and community later in the year.

I hope I've explained why our team unity is more important than this or
any other technical or development style issue, but if you need help,
perhaps talk to Michael about why the subtle differences in his proposal
really do matter.

Thanks,