consesnus

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Oct 16 15:38:40 MDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-16 at 02:39 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 08:29:19PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> >
> > Care to provide a reference for that one?  I'm not aware that this
> > proceeded against a maintained objection.
>
> Originally cmake was proposed for the new build system. waf was
> an alternate proposal instead and we voted for waf. Andreas simply
> accepted the results of the vote against his prefered decision.
>
> > I certainly know it was controversial for a number of reasons, but never
> > did we 'vote it out' like this is being done, we tediously, painfully
> > worked to address the objections.  Then the resulting work was merged
> > without objection.
>
> Volker *still* objects to the change from the autoconf build :-)
> and the inclusion of python. He accepted the majority vote against
> his opinions.

I've checked, and I can't find where a majority vote was called, so I
think you are mistaken.

Can you show me the archive URL of the vote?

Instead, what I find is a long discussion about the technical issues
involved, and attempts at each stage to address however much of the
issues could be addressed.  At no stage did it degenerate into a snap
vote.

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2010-April/070278.html

The key statements I find from Volker at the time are:

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2010-April/070382.html

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2010-April/070349.html

> I don't think I objected to converting the pure Samba4 build
> to waf. If you find a mail where I did so, I hereby
> apologize for it.

Additionally, this is indeed a prime example of how we have functioned
for a great deal of time, that where an objection is maintained, we find
a way to accommodate that objection.

The current consensus on this matter is (as far as I'm aware) embodied
in the BUILD_SYSTEMS.txt file, and our agreement to maintain the
autoconf build system for the 4.0 release.

Consensus doesn't mean we all *like* the outcome, indeed some of us
might very much dislike the outcome, but it is something we can all live
with, or choose to live with after all other options have been
considered.

You will notice I didn't call for a total consensus, but I want stepping
away from that to be the last resort, not the first option, as going
past it breaks the social bonds that hold the team together.