cifs mount options: was [Re: Proposal/Idea: Remove support for using rfc2307 attributes for s4 id-mapping?]

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Oct 16 11:17:50 MDT 2012

On 16/10/12 15:23, simo wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-10-16 at 09:16 -0400, simo wrote:
>>>>>
>>> Are you saying that I can use cifs in place of nfs for Linux clients?
>>> E.g. their home directories? I want files there to be user:group
>>> -rw-r--r-- cifs lets me do it for one user only. THat's no god in a
>>> mutiuser domain.
>>
>> you just need top enable multiuser mounts.
>> See the cifs docs.
>>
>>> If I have a share mounted using cifs, I can specify a uid and a gid of a
>>> user. If another user logs in, how do I then tell cifs that the uid:gid
>>> has changed without getting root to remount the share for me?
>>
>> See above.
>>
>>> I've tried with autofs. Is there a way to pass the uid:gid to the
>>> automounter so that it is mounted correctly?

Hi Simo

Firstly plase accept my apologies for hijacking the thread. I just lost
it a little when I thought about the consequences of the proposal.

Thanks. I had no idea about the multiuser mount option. It must be a
recent addition within the last year perhaps?

>> No, autofs is not the best option in this case, although certainly an
>> option.

Actually it works OK with the automounter. With the multiuser option,
cifs works as a drop in replacement for nfs, and the acls are preserevd too.

All I did was change the automount map from this:
* -rw,sec=krb5 hh1:/home2/&
to this:
* -fstype=cifs,rw,sec=krb5,multiuser ://hh1/home2/&

My only problem was realising that root had to have tickets to be able
to mount the share. I added a user called root to AD and gave him a
uidNumber of 0. I then extracted his keytab so he could authenticate
without a password on boot.

Question: The 'keytab for root' method works, but I'm sure that this is
not the correct way to go about it. Is there an official way to do this?

Cheers,
Steve