Proposal/Idea: Remove support for using rfc2307 attributes for s4 id-mapping?

steve steve at steve-ss.com
Tue Oct 16 05:43:40 MDT 2012

On 16/10/12 12:30, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 11:28:26AM +0200, steve wrote:
>>
>> We can't use cifs to serve the Linux clients as the file ownership
>> is always that of the user who mounted the file system, not the
>> authenticated user.
>
> That should only happen if you don't have UNIX extensions
> turned on at the Samba fileserver (they should be on by
> default). With UNIX extensions the cifsfs client will
> query the UNIX uid/gids directly from Samba in a similar
> way to NFS.
>
> Jeremy.

Hi
I'd like to be able to take nfs out of the equation but the limitation
which cifs imposes on file ownership is too bad.

Are you saying that I can use cifs in place of nfs for Linux clients?
E.g. their home directories? I want files there to be user:group
-rw-r--r-- cifs lets me do it for one user only. THat's no god in a
mutiuser domain.

If I have a share mounted using cifs, I can specify a uid and a gid of a
user. If another user logs in, how do I then tell cifs that the uid:gid
has changed without getting root to remount the share for me?

I've tried with autofs. Is there a way to pass the uid:gid to the
automounter so that it is mounted correctly?
Cheers,
Steve