consesnus

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Oct 16 03:29:19 MDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-16 at 01:42 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 07:39:01PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-10-16 at 00:32 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > >
> > > Not true. We have had majority votes winning before, over quite
> > > strong opposition, as I well recall. I'm sure you do too.
> >
> > Can you please cite me an example as regards our development process?
>
> The waf/autoconf decision was pushed over strong opposition as
> a good example, as well as many examples from non-development
> votes.

Care to provide a reference for that one?  I'm not aware that this
proceeded against a maintained objection.

I certainly know it was controversial for a number of reasons, but never
did we 'vote it out' like this is being done, we tediously, painfully
worked to address the objections.  Then the resulting work was merged
without objection.

That we maintain the autoconf build in parallel is a testament to that
we have, to date, respected the views of our fellow team members, as we
work continue to address their concerns.

I hope that we as a team continue that fine example, which is why I'm so
surprised by this.  It is, as far as I still recall, the only
development decision proposed to be made this way, and I hope it isn't a
pattern we continue.