Code review required for commits - formal Team vote.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Oct 14 22:11:34 MDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-10-14 at 20:48 -0400, simo wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 08:38 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > On Sat, 2012-10-13 at 11:41 -0400, simo wrote:

> > Simo,
> >
> > I'm confused by what you are saying you have done.  I don't think you
> > are saying that you have not pushed any of your own patches in the past
> > 2-3 years, but I just want to check.
>
> No, what I did is that I obtained review for my patches, whether I push
> them or not would make basically no difference, so that rule doesn't
> worry me. I am confident my samba team mates can push as well as review.
>
> I am also not welded on non-author push. If you have a clear acked-by
> line sent to you for a specific patch, IMO you can push it yourself.
> However I see value in reviewer-push as that assures the reviewer
> actually applied the patch and didn't just look at it in the email, so I
> am ok with that rule too if most people like it.

Starting with this (that code be reviewed, rather than than this
author != committer that we seem to be fixated on) would make it much
easier for me to pick up my side of the bargain, and do reviews for
others.

In turn, if we can find a process that is easier on the reviewers, then
I have a chance of sourcing the 1300 reviews I would have needed last
year.  For me that challenge is real, I've already spoken to one
reviewer, who indicated he certainly could not handle it on his own.

Thanks,