Code review required for commits - formal Team vote.

simo idra at samba.org
Sun Oct 14 18:48:41 MDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 08:38 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-10-13 at 11:41 -0400, simo wrote:

> > > To quote from my previous mail:
> > >
> > > """
> > > The way I see a trial working was that everybody tries to do reviews
> > > on patches sent to samba-technical, and everybody agrees to not push
> > > code directly. Basically, we do whatever the initial proposal was,
> > > without actually having it as a rule. And then, once we tried it for a
> > > while, we have a vote on whether we want to make the system mandatory.
> > > """
> > >
> > > Jeremy said on IRC that he doesn't believe this is going to work, but
> > > it's still how I'd prefer this would be handled.
> >
> > Fine by me, I've been basically doing this except for the most trivial
> > patches for the past 2-3 years, so from my point of view I am well into
> > the trial, I have no problem prolonging it.
>
> Simo,
>
> I'm confused by what you are saying you have done.  I don't think you
> are saying that you have not pushed any of your own patches in the past
> 2-3 years, but I just want to check.

No, what I did is that I obtained review for my patches, whether I push
them or not would make basically no difference, so that rule doesn't
worry me. I am confident my samba team mates can push as well as review.

I am also not welded on non-author push. If you have a clear acked-by
line sent to you for a specific patch, IMO you can push it yourself.
However I see value in reviewer-push as that assures the reviewer
actually applied the patch and didn't just look at it in the email, so I
am ok with that rule too if most people like it.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce