Code review required for commits - formal Team vote.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Oct 14 15:38:06 MDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-10-13 at 17:48 +0200, Michael Adam wrote:
> Hi Andrew,

> > Why can't we take it a step at a time, committing for example to have
> > all substantive changes on the list for 3 days (or until reviewed), but
> > without rules on author != committer.  This will encourage review
> > without creating in one step the level of extra work and dislocation
> > this proposal entails.
>
> Hmm, we could also do this. But why not try the full featured
> model directly. If it should really turn out to be unberable
> we would re-discuss after a certain period.

Because I can't be certain that after this, I'll even have the energy to
start yet another multi-day, multiple-tens-of-message thread to try and
help others understand why I feel it's not working.

Given how certain everyone is that the trail will be successful before
it even starts, I do not feel confident I'll get a fair hearing.

Why not come back with tool support, documentation, those most
interested opting in to trial the tools, and a genuine trial with
measured outcomes (where it isn't pre-ordained that the trail will
continue)?

Otherwise, this isn't a trial, this is a new rule in the guise of a
trial.

I tried to give an example of how that could work in my other mail.  The
subtle details of the language really does matter - yet if this is as
wildly successful as you so certainly believe it will be, both would end
up in the same place, but with far, far less aggravation.