Code review required for commits - formal Team vote.

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Fri Oct 12 23:01:13 MDT 2012

On 10/12/2012 04:13 PM, Michael Adam wrote:
> my vote: +1
>
> question:
> what kind of vote is this intended to be?
> unanimous? majority? ...
>
> comments:
> * I don't yet understand the reasons for "-1"s
> * it makes no sense to require review but add a free pass after a
>    timeout
> * Productivity need not drop when not pushing ones own
>    patches, because one can work on a private branch until
>    patches hit master.
>
> More later..
I'll try to repeat the reasons that made me vote -1.
But before let's rewind on autobuild that is so often compared:
* on Sept 30 2010 tridge proposed that everybody start to try it out
because according to him it works well (first traces starts on the 25th
of September)
* he proposed to try for one week and then propose to make mandatory
(nobody voiced against it), by that time some tools and documentation
was already present
* on Oct 3 2010 tridge propose to make it optional one more week then
mandatory but with no enforcement and then one more week and enforce it
* on Oct 13 tridge to propose to make it mandatory but not enforced but
already a lot of person at that time were using it as de-facto standard
and even if they had a free-way and we had autobuild errors due to
flakey tests nobody used it
* on Feb 03 2011 metze activated the enforcement

What I don't like in current proposal:

* 0 tools are ready, 0 documentation proposal on how this will be organized
* no planning for the trial (is it a trial ?) no proposed milestones to
say ok we try this for xx hours/days/months then we review that and then
we move to this
* no voluntary based period (like ok everybody tries to ask for a review
for all the patches)
* desire to make it mandatory when some people raise concerns and no
formal process for problem resolution is proposed (going to Gottingen or
any samba team's lair is not a valid solution)
* no demonstration on this working on a regular basis, I'm not seeing
you requesting reviews for your code, maybe you are doing it in private
but not in public

I'd like to highlight that with autobuild we had a long period of free
pass but nobody ever exercised it after mid October even though we still
had some trouble with autobuild and given the emails I'm sure it has
hitched some of us. So I don't see a problem of having at the beginning
a free pass and also the objective to make review mandatory just the
opposite by having this option we might be more encline to play by the
rules as we know that there is still a way out (even if we never
exercise it) then once we ironed all the problem and we have proved
ourselves that no kai, andrew or myself will not have to beg 20 times to
get a review then why not to make it mandatory with no free pass but not
from the very beginning. If at the beginning due to this free pass we
change our code from having 20% of non public review(estimation)  and 5%
of public review (estimation) to 50% of public review I think it worth it.

The fact that I say -1 right now didn't prevent supporters to add some
tools to ease the process, to add some documentation, to see solutions
for problems like autobuild fails because of a flaky build (I do think
that in case of the reviewer push the patch it's the reviewer job to
check if it's due to a flaky tests or maybe because of the patch and
repush it if needed) and envision a process where area with less
tractions get still reviewed a timely manner.

On IRC Jeremy said that we should all understand that doing review is
now part of our "job" as a team member and that review should be done
before coding, well I can agree but still kai, mathias and myself
(mostly) are doing it for the fun and if it's not fun anymore because we
have to chase reviews or because we spend 90% of our time doing reviews
then we will most probably contribute much less to samba.
Note that I'm not saying that we should get exemption but that we should
search for solution to be sure that nobody get bored and in the same
time the quality improve.

Cheers.
Matthieu.

--