Code review required for commits - Discuss.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Oct 12 14:53:43 MDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 07:47:49AM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> I'm not willing to commit to a process that makes it harder for larger
> or smaller contributors on a 'we can revisit it' basis.  We do not
> revisit things well on the Samba Team, and a smaller contributor is much
> more likely to say 'stuff it' than to re-open this monster thread.
>
> The biggest issue here is significant parts of Samba are major
> multi-person projects with significant needs for co-ordination, while
> other parts of the project are either almost unmaintained or have a
> single major contributor.
>
> Therefore, a one size fits all approach here is entirely unsuitable, and
> I'm frustrated that in spite of significant concerns you continue to
> push this, rather than work with the concerned parties to figure out
> what would:

Unfortunately a one size fits all approach is the only way to make
code review work.

The code is not separable (indeed we just spent a lot of effort
putting everything back together) such that we simply cannot
have code review in one area, and not another. Non-reviewed
code can break reviewed areas very easily.

Jeremy.