Code review required for commits - formal Team vote.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Oct 12 11:48:32 MDT 2012

Ok, I'd like to bring this to a conclusion before I have to go
on my European trip next week :-).

Sorry for asking for another vote after people have already
+1 and -1'ed, but there have been so many discussions about
what exactly the details of the policy should be that I think
it might be useful to re-iterate exactly what we're voting on.

Just to be clear - the formal proposal, originally from
Ira (but slightly tweaked by me after the discussions)
is here:

No team member commits their own code.  All code will be "signed off"
by two team members, as a team member you may sign off your own code.
The "non-author" team member will be responsible for pushing the code.
If there are two they can agree among themselves.

Tools for code review to be decided amongst reviewers, but any
patch posted to samba-technical is an explicit request for review.

Release branches work as they do today, though the + should be treated
as a sign-off in bugzilla. All release branch bug commits must contain
their bug number in them, so we can track back what happened.

Given this policy (no author push, no free pass) as an initial
start I think we can move to a vote.

Yes, there will be things to sort out and discuss as we go
along, but we're all reasonable (-ish :-) people and can work
out the minor details to make it work as we go along.

So I know many people have voted back and forth on various
versions, but I'd like to have a formal Team vote (anyone
on the Team with a samba.org address) to make a decision on
this. No reply means abstention.

Let's wait until the end of next week to allow everyone
who might be travelling or not reading email to respond
and think carefully about it, and tally the votes on
Friday 19th Oct (I'll be travelling on that date so
someone else will have probably to do the count, volunteers
welcome :-). If it passes let's target implementation on
Monday 22nd Oct.

I'm voting +1 (in case you wondered).

Cheers,

        Jeremy.