Code review required for commits - Discuss.

Fri Oct 12 03:53:33 MDT 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:31:38AM +0200, Kai Blin wrote:

> On 2012-10-12 10:20, Volker Lendecke wrote:
>
> > Just be a PITA for the reviewers. Send mails, call them, start to
> > use other means like hop on a train to Goettingen with a LART tool
> > :-)
>
> That's a reasonable effort for people who work on Samba on their
> dayjob. I've got to take at least one day off at work to get to
> Göttingen. On the worst case scenario, that limits me to 30 patchsets
> a year, assuming I spend all my vacation getting patches in. ;)
>
> I'm still worried that this system is going to leak patches,
> especially if we don't allow for pushes after patches were ignored for
> a while.
>
> I think if we go towards a required review system, we really, really
> need to make sure we don't drop patches.

This comes down to people interested in it. To me this is a
social process that will have leaks, but all human activity
has the potential for flaws. I think the mechanism to fix
things after mistakes have happened don't need to be
formalized. If your patches for the DNS server are ignored
forever, the ultimate fix is to create a modular interface
so that you can do your own thing independently. This is
really the ultima ratio with many, many steps before that.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de