Code review required for commits - Discuss.

Ira Cooper ira at samba.org
Thu Oct 11 14:47:44 MDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Matthieu Patou <mat at samba.org> wrote:
> On 10/11/2012 12:48 PM, Ira Cooper wrote:

>> Actual formal suggestion:
>>
>> No team member commits their own code.  All code will be "signed off"
>> by two team members, as a team member you may sign off your own code.
>> The "non-author" team member will be responsible for pushing the code.
>>   If there are two they can agree among themselves. ;)
>
> To my french mind the wording seems a bit confusing, are you saying that:
> 1) every author could (should?) add their own sign-off
> 2) in total 2 sign-off are need, which means at least 1 non-author review
> (but can be two if the author decide not to sign-off it's patch)

That is correct.

Time to time we all write things that need some more review, and we
know it.  Not signing them off is a way to say "Hey, I want a second
reviewer, because I know this is hairy."  I actually have some code
sitting around that may trigger that, because of what it plays with
:).

Also it covers all "non-team" code, they all go through 2 sign-offs.

-Ira