Samba 4: character encoding issue (was: Samba-tool dbcheck shows "incorrect GUID" after update from alpha17 to beta8)

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sat Oct 6 03:27:10 MDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-10-06 at 11:20 +0200, Michael Wood wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 5 October 2012 21:25,  <X-Dimension at gmx.net> wrote:
> >
> > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> >> Datum: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 12:22:54 +0200
> >> Von: Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>
> >> An: Julian Timm <X-Dimension at gmx.net>
> >> CC: samba at lists.samba.org
> >> Betreff: Re: [Samba] Samba-tool dbcheck shows "incorrect GUID" after update from alpha17 to beta8

> >> update from alpha17 to beta8

> >> packages are in testing and should be available soon.

> >> running dbcheck again.
> >>
> >> Try posting the errors to the list and maybe someone will be able to
> >> say what causes them.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>
> >
> > Ok, here is an example:
> >
> > ERROR: incorrect GUID component for member in object CN=Mitarbeiter,OU=Benutzer,DC=test,DC=lan - <GUID=c385ad50-c728-41ba-8b94-22fa07b57b41>;<SID=S-1-5-21-2936403297-3018184044-1011683372-1153>;CN=Max Müller,OU=Benutzer,DC=test,DC=lan
> > unable to find object for DN CN=Max Müller,OU=Benutzer,DC=test,DC=lan - (No such Base DN: CN=Max Müller,OU=Benutzer,DC=test,DC=lan)
> > Not removing dangling forward link
> >
> > All of these database errors affecting users who have german umlauts
> > in their names like Ä,Ö,Ü.
> > These users are also not shown within the Microsoft RSAT AD manager.
> > When i add a new user now like "Horst Müller" with the management tool, i get the error that the user could not be verified and can't login, but RSAT still creates the user.
> >
> > Is there a simple way to correct this problem?
>
> I've copied this to the samba-technical list, since the Samba 4 HOWTO
> still says to report successes/failures there.
>
> The problem does look suspiciously like a character encoding issue.

On my e-mail client, the german umlauts in the DN show up as other
characters (1/4 for example).  If the original DN is not utf8, then this
will fail.  (Because we will be unable to create the canonical form of
the DN, it will fail to match).

Julian, can you confirm if the CN attribute and DN was created using
only valid UTF8?

What client or tool was used to create it?

Thanks,