gpfs vfs incorrectly returning offline status 'at random' in 3.6 and up

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Fri Oct 5 17:37:26 MDT 2012

Hi,

I also had an issue with the randomly oscillating online/offline
status flags earlier this year at a customer's site. It seems I
have forgotten to follow up and track a bug from that - thanks
for bringing it up!

On 2012-10-05 at 15:22 +0200, Christian Ambach wrote:
> On 09/28/2012 05:52 PM, Barry Evans wrote:
>
> >Anything look interesting?
>
> I think the lack of some config parameters is the interesting piece.
> gpfs:winattr defaults to false, so I guess the is_offline function
> operates on un-initialized memory.
>
> The code in master/4.0 has a guard in vfs_gpfs_is_offline() that skips
> the checks if gpfs:winattr is disabled.
>
> if (!config->winattr) {
> 	return SMB_VFS_NEXT_IS_OFFLINE(handle, fname, sbuf);
> }
>
> That guard is not present in 3.6.

This matches my analysis.

> However, give it a try enabling it with
> 	gpfs:winattr = yes

Yes, that should fix the problem.

> and the following additional parameters, to make Samba store Windows
> attributes in the native GPFS attributes:
>
>      store dos attributes=yes
>      map readonly = yes
>      map archive = yes
>      map system = yes
>      map hidden = yes
>      ea support=yes

As Simo has remarked, you should not set the "map foobar" options
if you are using store dos attributes = yes.
Also, "ea support" is unrelated".

So the relevant portion to fix the probelm is:

  gpfs:winattr = yes
  store dos attributes=yes

Cheers - Michael