Help: Error in samba4.local.talloc in autobuild

simo idra at samba.org
Fri Oct 5 08:08:20 MDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 11:32 +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-10-05 at 00:55 -0400, simo wrote:

> > > Yes, that's pretty much how subunit works.
> > >
> > > https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~subunit/subunit/trunk/view/head:/README#L108
> >
> > Right, if only we had one central place where we document all these
> > special things (instead of READMEs in obscure subdirectories that appear
> > completely unrelated), or at least used a special macro or function in
> > the current tests instead of open_coding this protocol so that when
> > others look at tests they get a hint ...
> We do have convenience macros that are used by tests in Samba, but not
> in talloc in an attempt to keep it lightweight.
>
> selftest/README is the central document for this kind of stuff, and
> refers to the subunit README.
>
> Suggestions for improvements welcome.

I didn't think of looking into selftest/ for a README, I looke in
various torture dirs and testsuite and couldn't find much.
Took me also a while to realize how scattered the tests where.

It would be really nice if we could move everything testing related into
a specific toplevel subdirectory, and not have it scattered all over,
and then have a README there that explains the basics of how to operate
the directory, what each subdir contains (pretty much like
selfetest/README does), what are best practices and conventions, etc...

It is very difficult right now, for someone that is starting or only
occasionally care about the testing framework to find where stuff is or
how to play with it.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce