gpfs vfs incorrectly returning offline status 'at random' in 3.6 and up

Christian Ambach ambi at samba.org
Fri Oct 5 07:22:07 MDT 2012

On 09/28/2012 05:52 PM, Barry Evans wrote:

> Anything look interesting?

I think the lack of some config parameters is the interesting piece.
gpfs:winattr defaults to false, so I guess the is_offline function
operates on un-initialized memory.

The code in master/4.0 has a guard in vfs_gpfs_is_offline() that skips
the checks if gpfs:winattr is disabled.

if (!config->winattr) {
	return SMB_VFS_NEXT_IS_OFFLINE(handle, fname, sbuf);
}

That guard is not present in 3.6.

However, give it a try enabling it with
	gpfs:winattr = yes

and the following additional parameters, to make Samba store Windows
attributes in the native GPFS attributes:

      store dos attributes=yes
      map readonly = yes
      map archive = yes
      map system = yes