s3fs migration path

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Oct 4 06:27:10 MDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-10-04 at 13:01 +0100, Mark Walker wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> Got my back against the wall a little with the whole NTVFS to s3fs thing
> but thankfully its not the biggest Samba4 installation we have as it is a
> small business.
>
> Can anyone suggest a procedure to move smoothly to s3fs or is there no
> other option but reapplying any acls to folder shares after the fact and
> prior to this doing a samba-tool reset sysvol?

Sort of - the issue is that while we will report the 'correct' ACLs, the
kernel won't honour them until they are set again.

However, if you want to convert the acls, you can.  The same python
script behind samba-tool ntacl sysvolreset can read and write ACLs, and
could be told to sync from one format to the other.  (What I'm saying is
you could extend the tool, or at worst script around samba-tool ntacl
get/set)

> By the way guys, fantastic work samba devs and contributors :). Been
> tracking Samba 4 since the TP releases.

Thanks,

> Hoping member server support will
> work well enough to have a dedicated S4 fileserver instead of putting both
> on the same box.

Member server support should be fine, using the smbd file server and
winbindd.