When is an RC not an RC?

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 02:33:59 MDT 2012

On 4 October 2012 09:30, steve <steve at steve-ss.com> wrote:
> On 04/10/12 07:24, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

>> Finally, don't feel bad about asking how our release process works - it
>> is far better to talk about this, as it helps everyone understand it.
>
> Hi
> I took RC to mean that it was at a stage where users could test it and
> perhaps report their problems. On the samba list perhaps. Is that it?

I think that's about right.

The Samba4 HOWTO still says to report successes/failures on the
samba-technical list, although it also says that Samba 4 is still
alpha.

By the way, you might want to build the rc tarballs instead of from
GIT, unless you want to test the latest code that will be in the next
rc (or final release).

If you want to build from GIT still, you should probably switch to the
branch that the rc's are released from instead of master which might
have patches that will only make it into 4.1.

I think that's v4-0-test.

e.g. this should switch you to that branch:

git checkout -b v4-0-test origin/v4-0-test

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>