OS/X fork() officially broken?

Wed Oct 3 23:11:49 MDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 12:04:38PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 04:11:33PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Via the discussion thread on
> > https://lwn.net/Articles/518306/ I found the link to the
> > OS/X fork manpage:
> > http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/system/conceptual/manpages_iphoneos/man2/fork.2.html
> >
> > Despite the link pointing at ios, the text says it is the
> > OS/X manpage for fork(2).
> >
> > Look at the CAVEATS section. That is likely one of the more
> > technical reasons why Apple switched to something but Samba.
> > For us it does not make any sense at all to even try to
> > revive smbd on OS/X in its current architecture.
>
> Isn't that an iOS manpage, not an OS/X manpage ?

As I said, the text points out that it is the OS/X manpage.

> I can't believe they broke fork() so badly. It's a UNIX
> after all..

I am very surprised as well, but probably Apple figured out
that none of the system-supplied daemons do it anymore and
the Frameworks don't support fork properly. So they just
stopped working on fixing bugs related to fork, calling it
essentially unsupported.

Volker

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.sernet.de, mailto:kontakt at sernet.de