Current approaches to ACL handling

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Oct 3 13:48:00 MDT 2012

On 10/03/2012 08:48 AM, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 02:36:20PM -0500, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
>> On 10/01/2012 02:27 PM, Scott Lovenberg wrote:
>> :
>>> While we're all playing this game, I'll chime in with performance of a
>>> userland database versus in kernel structures and extra context
>>> switching. :)
>>
>> Hey, you get RichACLs into the kernel and we'll be happy to use 'em.  :)
>>
>> Even if EA's in are in the file system, we still need to read them
>> out and process them in userland.  I think there are a few small
>> dragons to be dealt with there, particularly across a cluster.
>
> As there are for the actual file data and normal attributes.  Yes, there
> may well be bugs, but they're filesystem bugs....

I meant that enforcing ACLs that are stored in EAs requires reading them
into userspace and enforcing them there.  It's not a filesystem issue, it's
a problem of synchronizing the interpretation of the meta-data between
multiple processes (possibly across multiple machines) and the kernel(s).

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org