SMB3 Session Setup

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at samba.org
Wed Oct 3 08:18:27 MDT 2012

Hi Steve,

> I noticed some odd differences between Samba 4 (current master) and
> Windows 8 in SMB3 session setup handling (both fail for different
> reasons at the moment from the linux cifs client, while smb2.1 works).
>
> negotiate protocol to both (Samba and Windows 8) look similar.  In
> this case I am requesting only one dialect smb3
> session setup phase 1 (raw ntlmssp) looks similar.
> three cases for session setup phase two
> 1) if bad password:  then I get STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE as expected
> 2) if good password (which worked with smb2.1) then to Samba server I
> get Samba sending back a signed response (success), even though I
> didn't ask for signing

That is expected, the final session setup response is always signed,
if the session is not anonymous.

> 3) if good password (which worked with smb2.1) then to Windows 8
> server I get Windows 8 sending back an error response
> "STATUS_USER_SESSION_DELETED"
> Any idea what that error means?

I also got something like that, but I think only
I tried to negotiate SMB 2.1 against a Windows 2012 server.
(I think it's a bug in windows as it worked with Windows 2012 server RC).
And there's otherwise no difference.

However a Win 7 client seems to work. It uses some more advanced NTLMSSP
stuff, where even the final session setup response returns a blob.

Please include captures...

metze