When creating a new file/directory, we need to obey the create mask/directory mask parameters.

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Wed Oct 3 00:26:43 MDT 2012

On 10/02/2012 09:26 PM, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 12:20:36AM -0400, simo wrote:
>> Hi Jeremy,
>> I do not particularly like the approach of overwriting share parameters,
>> it is aesthetically unpleasing, but I see why it is easier to do.
>> However I would like to ask to do semantic changes for 4.0 rather than
>> wait for 4.1 on different grounds. I think that what you want to do as
>> the 'proper' fix represent a change in semantics that would be difficult
>> to accept within a point release. I would rather have semantics change
>> on a .0 release so that enterprise distributions can more easily upgrade
>> to 4.1 file servers without breaking their promises.
>> A semantics change of this magnitude in a point release would make life
>> difficult for those of us that try to update samba code in enterprise
>> distros.
>>>> That we are so close to a release is no excuse to put aside good
>>>> software engineering practice.  Indeed, it is every reason to apply that
>>>> rigour even more strongly.
>>> I'm happy to get feedback from the samba-technical
>>> list, but this will push back the next rc, by however
>>> long it takes to come to a consensus on this.
>>> That's fine by me, I'm in no hurry :-).
>> Although I am a bit in a hurry, unless the delay is measured in months
>> rather than a week or so I would gladly take the delay if the end result
>> is that all semantic changes happen in 4.0, even if more elegant code
>> fixes are delayed to 4.1
>> I just care about changing semantics / dropping legacy options in 4.0
>> rather than 4.1
> Ok. I'll run the poll on samba-technical, and prepare
> the code changes to remove those parameters (assuming
> no one is really using them, which actually I think
> is the case :-). After all, this bug has been there
> for quite a time.
> It shouldn't take more than a week or so, I'll ask
> Karolin to wait until this gets done before doing
> rc3.
Well if not ready for rc3 it can make it to rc4 ... we are not really 
limited by the number of RCs ...


Matthieu Patou
Samba Team

More information about the samba-technical mailing list