When creating a new file/directory, we need to obey the create mask/directory mask parameters.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Oct 2 21:55:23 MDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 01:47:28PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> Jeremy, I really don't think you want to start playing maintainer trumps
> here.  The change I object to is the change to the loadparm layer to
> introduce (essentially) a new read/write global variable.

Actually Andrew, I don't think you should be making
assumptions about what I'm doing here. I am explicitly
the maintainer here, and have been since I wrote this
code.

This is a maintainer decision, and I'm pointing that out.

> We should be avoiding global variables in general, and particularly the
> abuse of global variables in this subtle and confusing way.

This is the least intrusive fix. I have pointed
out to you the correct fix. That is much more
invasive. My feeling is that this should be left
to 4.1.0.

> That we are so close to a release is no excuse to put aside good
> software engineering practice.  Indeed, it is every reason to apply that
> rigour even more strongly.

I'm happy to get feedback from the samba-technical
list, but this will push back the next rc, by however
long it takes to come to a consensus on this.

That's fine by me, I'm in no hurry :-).

> I remain opposed the the patches as is.

So noted.

Jeremy.