Samba4: Internal dns Failed to listen on 0.0.0.0:53

Bob Cavey wedgeshot at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 14:55:39 MDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Kai Blin <kai at samba.org> wrote:

> On 2012-10-01 21:02, steve wrote:
> > After today's update I now get these errors:
> >
> > Failed to listen on 0.0.0.0:53 - NT_STATUS_ADDRESS_ALREADY_ASSOCIATED
> > Calling SPN name update script
> > Failed to bind to 0.0.0.0:53 TCP - NT_STATUS_ADDRESS_ALREADY_ASSOCIATED
>

> > bind is not running.
>
> Well, something is listening on 0.0.0.0:53
>
> sudo netstat -lnp
>
> should find what it is. If you have KVM installed, I blame dnsmasq. :)

Just last week I wrote to this list about DNS issues kvm installed but it
never posted ( moderator denied ?? ). On both RedHat and Ubuntu from what
I've seen kvm/virt  listens on 192.168.122.1:53 and even if you provision
samba with --host-ip samba still wants to use the kvm dns IP versus the
real IP address and all things DNS fails. I removed all the kvm/virt
packages and everything is happy now after 30 minutes of fail... fail..
ahhh. so that is why. :)

 Cheers,
 - Bob