Consider adding --with-winbindd-socket-dir

Alexander Bokovoy ab at samba.org
Mon Oct 1 04:06:04 MDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at samba.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-10-01 at 12:49 +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> there seem to be disparity in defining where winbindd socket directory
>> should be in git master. In dynconfig/wscript we define
>> --with-sockets-dir that is used directly for smbd and derive
>> winbindd's socket directory out of it as ${SOCKET_DIR}/winbindd. If
>> one uses --with-sockets-dir=/var/run/samba, for example, then
>> winbindd's socket directory will be /var/run/samba/winbind.
>>
>> This is all fine unless you are dealing with co-install of samba 3.6
>> and samba 4.x on the same machine. We have such setup in RHEL6 for
>> maintenance reasons and building libwbclient only in samba 3.6 build,
>> since this is the same library in both samba 3.6 and 4.x cases. Samba
>> 3.6 in RHEL6 is built with --with-sockets-dir=/var/run, for various
>> historical reasons.
>
> I'm a little confused.  Except as a build dep, what is the runtime use
> of the private libwbclient from master in your configuration?
>
> That is, why does this matter?  (I didn't think you were packaging the
> server-side components)
There two things here.

One can be ignored as I completely forgot that libwbclient from 3.6
cannot work against winbindd from 4.0 due to protocol difference. So
the patch is moot.

Another is for what I need to use libwbclient from samba 4.0. Note
that I'm talking about nsswitch/libwbclient, not source4/ code.

I'm currently working on a python bindings for libwbclient, These
bindings will be needed for allowing FreeIPA to resolve user/group
names from trusted domains to SIDs before storing SIDs as part of
manual group mapping. Since schannel is in use by winbindd already for
trusted domains case, Guenther explained to me it will be problematic
for two schannel connections from the same host to coexist without
getting Windows confused (winbindd one and the one FreeIPA python code
would otherwise create using samba python bindings). So I need to talk
to the winbindd running on the host from Python code.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy