Consider adding --with-winbindd-socket-dir

Alexander Bokovoy ab at samba.org
Mon Oct 1 03:49:14 MDT 2012

Hi,

there seem to be disparity in defining where winbindd socket directory
should be in git master. In dynconfig/wscript we define
--with-sockets-dir that is used directly for smbd and derive
winbindd's socket directory out of it as ${SOCKET_DIR}/winbindd. If
one uses --with-sockets-dir=/var/run/samba, for example, then
winbindd's socket directory will be /var/run/samba/winbind.

This is all fine unless you are dealing with co-install of samba 3.6
and samba 4.x on the same machine. We have such setup in RHEL6 for
maintenance reasons and building libwbclient only in samba 3.6 build,
since this is the same library in both samba 3.6 and 4.x cases. Samba
3.6 in RHEL6 is built with --with-sockets-dir=/var/run, for various
historical reasons.

However, the library and winbindd binary should have the same socket
directory compiled in to be able to talk to each other. With current
WAF configuration (in dynconfig/wscript) it is impossible to make smbd
socket dir pointing to /var/run/samba and at the same allow winbindd
to use /var/run/winbind.

Attached single line patch makes --with-winbindd-socket-dir that
allows to override how winbindd socket directory is created. I don't
think this patch introduces any real confusion but at least it allows
to reduce amount of non-upstream patches to maintain.

Please consider it to master/next 4.0 release.
--
/ Alexander Bokovoy