proposed cifs.ko authentication overhaul

Steve French smfrench at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 16:45:10 MST 2012

Overhauling the authentication code is probably a good idea but
a couple quick thoughts:

1) we must have system wide, administrator controllable, security
defaults (samba does this, and every modern operating system
probably does this by now) - for the case of cifs
(and smb2/smb3) the features don't have to match Windows
but should include at least the following:
   - the ability to set signing on for all connection attempts
   - the ability to set either a list of security mechanisms which
     are acceptable (I recommend that we allow ntlmv2 and
     kerberos, and allow administrator to enable others if desired)
    or set a minimum security level (setting it lower e.g. might be
 allowing
     ntlm, or plaintext passwords) than recommended (presumably
     our minimum acceptable is ntlmv2) or higher (Kerberos).
     Alternatively
      -

Thanks,

Steve