s4 managing posixAccount and posixGroup with samba-tool?

Rowland Penny repenny at f2s.com
Mon Nov 26 14:59:49 MST 2012

On 26/11/12 21:01, Bernd Markgraf wrote:
>> How about exporting all the users somehow, then writing a script to
>> create them as new users in a S4 domain?
>> OK, they all get new UID's through RID but this shouldn't be a problem
>> really and once completed all your user details will be in one place,
>> your S4 AD.
> That ignores the fact that there may be one or more other services
> involved that rely on already existing UID numbers. NFS being a nice
> example.
> Recreating the users may seem like a nice idea in order to have all user
> info in one place. Chown'ing millions of files (I would currently have
> about 40 million files on 3 nfs servers with about 1000 different uids,
> ~250 currently being active) to get the mapping to new UIDS right is
> just not that much fun. I think it was/is a better idea to manually
> assign posix UID/GID numbers to new users in such cases.
>
> just my .02¢
>    Bernd

Ok, for your installation it wouldn't be feasible, but the OP states
that he only has approx 100 unix users, with only  about 25 of them
connected to a samba DC. It may be possible to add the other 75 users to
the DC and then perform a classicupgrade to S4, but then it may be
quicker to start anew. I think that the OP needs to tell us just what he
needs the finished setup to be and if Windows is involved in any way.

Rowland

believed to be clean.