Samba4: lots of issues with samba-tool domain classic upggrade

Ricky Nance ricky.nance at weaubleau.k12.mo.us
Mon Nov 19 15:40:06 MST 2012

First thing, I run linux only and I cannot download your log file with -d3
(its trying to force me to use a download manager that is an exe, don't
want to setup wine just for that), if you use tar --xz -cf file.log.tar.xz
file.log it will shrink the file substantially (allowing you to attatch it
to the mail). Secondly when asking for help, telling someone their product
is 'really a pain in the ass' is very counter productive and in all honesty
is just rude. Next thing is if you want something in the wiki, request
permission to add it, instead of just complaining about it. If you want
openldap support check with them, samba is not here to support that, though
we do try (if asked nicely) to help with anything that affects your setup.
The issue is that everyone uses OpenLDAP slightly differently, so what
works in your case may not work in mine and vise-versa. I have done several
migrations, using this howto and they have went off fairly well. The
biggest issues I have seen thus far (aside from yours) is that the LDAP
directory the user is migrating from doesn't have all the attributes it
needs. Also if you would have followed the howto verbatim, the commands
there have you copy your entire existing /etc/ldap folder to the new
machine, by default (as far as I know) slapd will check for the type of
config it needs (whether slapd.conf or slapd.d), that /etc/ldap directory
also typically includes your schemas and where your current ldap db is
located.

I fully understand your frustration, but please do understand that everyone
setup is slightly different and its very hard to predict what each and
every user needs. Please keep good notes on what needs touched up on the
wiki and relay them back to me or register and add them yourself, so other
users may be able to have more success.

Get that log file setup somewhere else (or email it) and I'd be glad to
offer any assistance I can.

Ricky (aka RiXtEr)