[Release Planning 4.0] Samba 4.0.0rc6 on Tuesday November 27, 2012

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Nov 16 02:36:16 MST 2012

On Fri, 2012-11-16 at 09:26 +0100, Karolin Seeger wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 08:05:21AM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > I'm wondering about suggesting moving this a week closer?
>
> I think that's not possible unfortunately. There are still blocker bugs
> without patchsets and review flags. Releasing on Tuesday would mean to
> close the branch on Sunday. So there are only two days left (weekend) and
> still no guaranty that patches will be available in time.

I'm confused, what would be different about this to every other time we
have done an RC with blocker bugs open?

> I would prefer to stick to the 2 weeks cycle in this case.

At the time I wrote this, I was expecting a slightly faster turnaround
on the last of my ACL patches, and wasn't aware quite how long the
backlog on not-in-4.0 ACL patches was.

That said, I'm now at a point where what I think is the most significant
issue in the blocking bug list has working patches in the process of
being tested and reviewed.  There are other bugs, but while important in
their own way, they are much less significant in scale and in breadth of
impact (ie, platform-specific).

That's why I'm keen for our users to try it, for us to mark what I think
is a pretty important stage in our development of 4.0, and for us to
perhaps bring the final release closer, rather than continuing to push
it further away.

None of this is so urgent that another week will harm anything however.

Thanks,