samba4 samba-tool dns questions

David Mansfield samba at dm.cobite.com
Thu Nov 15 15:23:55 MST 2012

Hi all (apologies if this is received twice, I forgot my new identity):

I'm testing migration of samba3 to samba4, on centos6, using 4.0.0.rc5.

I've got the installation and migration completed and working, but I'm
uncertain exactly what the "best practice" is for DNS.

I have a bunch of questions, sorry...

Is the internal DNS server considered "rc" quality, as in, it'll be
production quality soon, or is the BIND9 solution the recommended path
for those of us planning to migrate to production shortly?

Our DNS infrastructure is currently djbdns (which has been fantastic btw
for about a decade!).  As I understand clients MUST use the samba4
server for DNS.  Does this mean we must migrate our entire internal DNS
infrastructure to samba4 (static stuff, reverse maps, sip server SRV
records etc), or can NXDOMAIN be delegated to a different dnscache and
we only have the AD specific stuff stored in samba4?

(based on the previous answer this one may be moot!:)

Most of our hosts are currently linux boxes with _static_ IPs, but they
will be (eventually) authenticating to samba4.  Is "samba-tool" the
preferred way to manage DNS entries, or is it possible with BIND9
integration to have all of the "static" stuff in regular named.conf type
text files and only the parts that are dynamic will be managed
internally and automatically by samba4 and I'll never need samba-tool?

With "samba-tool dns"  subcommands there appears to be no documentation
of the various fields.  E.g how do I set the TTL of an SOA record? Using
"samba-tool dns zonecreate --help " just shows:

samba-tool dns zonecreate <server> <zone> [options]

What are the "options"? I'm willing to dig around in source and update
the wiki or something if it would be helpful, but where do I look?

This seams like a fantastic development in the linux world, keep up the
great work.!

Thanks,
David Mansfield