New added DNS entries are not resolveable

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 17:20:32 MST 2012

Hi Marc,

On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Marc Muehlfeld
<Marc.Muehlfeld at medizinische-genetik.de> wrote:
> Just some more things I found out: "samba-tool dns query" returns the entry.
> But tools that doesn't query the LDB directly like "host" or "nslookup",
> doesn't find it:
>

> # samba-tool dns add 192.168.29.2 muc.medizinische-genetik.de marc4 A
> 192.168.29.73 -Uadministrator
>
> Password for [MUC\administrator]:
> Record added successfully
>

> # host -t A marc4.muc.medizinische-genetik.de.
> Host marc4.muc.medizinische-genetik.de. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>

> # nslookup marc4.muc.medizinische-genetik.de.
> Server:         192.168.29.2
> Address:        192.168.29.2#53
>
> ** server can't find marc4.muc.medizinische-genetik.de.: NXDOMAIN
>

> # samba-tool dns query 192.168.29.2 muc.medizinische-genetik.de marc4 A
> -Uadministrator
> Password for [MUC\administrator]:
>   Name=, Records=1, Children=0
>     A: 192.168.29.73 (flags=f0, serial=24, ttl=900)
>

> Bind-DLZ doesn't seem to find the new added entries. Existing older entries
> (don't know from which date) are resolved fine.

I think I know what's happening here.  It appears that the samdb copy
for BIND has diverged from the main samdb.  I would like to make sure
that the dns/ directory is correctly set up.

  ls -li /path/to/private/sam.ldb.d/*

  ls -li /path/to/private/dns/sam.ldb.d/*

The sam ldb files corresponding to application partitions should be
hard linked i.e. they should have the same inode.  With above two
commands you can confirm if that is the case.

Amitay.