Samba 3.6.9 - net ads join fails on 2008R2 AD

Bogdan Iamandei b.iamandei at its.uq.edu.au
Tue Nov 6 18:24:14 MST 2012

On 7/11/12 12:29 AM, "Andreas Schneider" <asn at samba.org> wrote:

>On Tuesday 06 November 2012 06:33:28 Bogdan Iamandei wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Our MS guys are about to do an upgrade to 2008R2 AD and we're
>> attempting to test that with the latest Samba3 release.
>
>samba:~ # net ads join -UAdministrator
>Enter Administrator's password:
>Using short domain name -- LEVEL1
>Joined 'SAMBA' to dns domain 'LEVEL1.DISCWORLD.SITE'
>
>Works for me just fine using a correctly setup DNS.

Yes, I understand - but that is not what the problem is at my end.

As it stands, the Solaris bundled Samba version (3.5.8) joins the
2008R2 AD just fine (same settings, same everything), whereas the
compiled version (3.6.9) doesn't: it comes back with

Failed to join domain: failed to lookup DC info for domain
'EXCH2010.MS.TEST.XX.XXX.AU' over rpc: Logon failure

See the attached log from the failure.

The only mention of a similar problem is this thread back in 2011:

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2011-October/164491.html

It is not clear to me how the OP fixed it.

							Ino!~