common popt code

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Nov 5 14:24:14 MST 2012

On Mon, 2012-11-05 at 21:17 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:

> The question is, why is there popt-common in source3 and source4 and couldn't
> we just have one general popt samba system? I spend some time on this the next
> weeks if they could be merged.

It would be great to merge more of this, but it is harder than it looks,
which is why I've not taken it on so far.  We now have the
cli_credentials code in common, so we can try and use that more (passing
in either the whole object, or the username/password from it into the
various functions that need it).  However, we still have some small
variation in syntax here, such as -k vs -k yes/no.  We also have two
different loadparm engines that we load, and other things that are still
not totally compatible.

The divergence here will take time to work though.  Please keep me in
the loop on any changes, and I'm always happy to advise further.