CTDB internals

ronnie sahlberg ronniesahlberg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 23:32:14 MDT 2012

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 10:23 PM, Christopher R. Hertel <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:
> On 11/02/2012 12:00 AM, Amitay Isaacs wrote:
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Christopher R. Hertel <crh at ubiqx.mn.org> wrote:
>>> Amitay, Obnox, et. al.,
>>>
>>> I just want to make sure that I've got this right...
>>>
>>> Reviewing Michael's tutoral, given in 2009 at SambaXP, here's what I get:
>>>
>>> * The underlying tables are all TDB tables.
>>>
>>> * These TDB tables are of three types:
>>>   1) Persistent
>>>   2) Normal ("volatile")
>>>   3) Recovery
>>
>> There are only two types of databases persistent and normal. Recovery
>> file is just a regular file and not tdb database.
>
> Ah...
>
> ...but access is still arbitrated using fcntl byte-range locks.  Is that
> correct?
>
>>> I think I generally understand how these work.  I have some questions about
>>> the sequence of events when writing to a Persistent TDB, but those can wait.
>>>
>>> My immediate questions are:
>>>
>>> Q: Is the CTDB_RECOVERY_LOCK file the only tdb file that will be stored on
>>>    shared disk and concurrently accessed by multiple nodes?
>>
>> Yes, CTDB_RECOVERY_LOCK file is the only file that is stored on the
>> shared storage for concurrent access to resolve split-brain situations
>> and doing recoveries.
>
> Cool.
>
> In our test case, we have a couple of other files in there.  For example,
> /etc/sysconfig/ctdb is symlinked to a shared file so that we only have to
> edit the file once.
>
>>> Q: For the other two types (Persistent and Normal), is the ctdbd daemon
>>>    the only reader/writer to the local TDBs?  For Normal LTDBs in
>>>    particular, is fcntl byte-range locking used to manage access in any
>>>    way?
>>
>> For non-persistent databases smbd and ctdbd can read/write to local
>> TDBs. The access is ordered by fcntl byte-range locks. smbd accesses a
>> record from local TDBs only when the local CTDB node is data master
>> for that record.
>
> Q: To do that, smbd would have to go through CTDB somehow, because only
>    the ctdbd would know if it were master.  Is that correct?

No,  smbd has internal knowledge about the ctdb header for the record,
so smbd can decide "is this record local  or not".
If it is local then smbd just reads/writes to the record without any
ctdb involvement. Just like standalone samba does.

Only if smbd discovers the record is not local will it involve ctdbd
and request that the record is fetched across the cluster.